The market was located in the Market Place until 1910. It then moved to an area next to the Neeld Hall until 1954 when it moved to its final location in Cocklebury Road. It closed in 2005.
The Chippenham Civic Society commissioned a life size calf to be created. They chose to locate the calf at Borough Parade because it is on the site of one of the former markets so is an historically accurate location. The owners of Borough Parade, Mountgrange LLP were very supportive and pledged £1500 towards the cost of the project.
Planning permission was granted and work continued at the studio of the sculptor, Richard Cowdy during the early part of 2013. It was finally installed in September 2013 and unveiled on the 14th of September by Amanda Parr from BBC Points West.